Emergency Receiving Home
Arizona MENTOR’s Emergency Receiving Home offers children with intellectual and developmental disabilities a safe, nurturing home when a wide range of issues such as crisis within the family, abuse or neglect prevent them from remaining in their home of origin.
A Safe Home in Times of Crisis
Located in Maricopa County, the Emergency Receiving Home is licensed through the Division of Developmental Disabilities and serves children ages 6-18. In addition to providing a safe home environment, staff partner with family, physicians, teachers and other significant people in the child’s life, where appropriate, to help the child gain stability and heal. Our specially trained staff provide whatever support is needed for the child to heal and grow, including:
- Transportation to appointments such as doctor’s visits, speech therapy and counseling
- Attending Child and Family Team meetings
- Assisting with family visitations, where appropriate
- Working with schools to ensure necessary support in the classroom or, if needed, to help a child adjust to a new school
Skills to Help Children Succeed
Staff also provide support and skill-building designed to help children succeed after they leave the Emergency Receiving Home, including:
- Developing life skills such as personal care and communication
- Increasing cognitive skills
- Help participating in recreational activities
- Overcoming behavioral challenges
Each child in our Emergency Receiving Home has an Individual Service Plan (ISP) tailored especially to their needs, integrating all medical, behavioral and community resources needed to succeed. In addition, each child in the home receives the level of support that is right for them, from one-on-one 24/7 attention for children with highly complex needs to less intensive support for children who are able to function more independently. Whatever the need, Arizona MENTOR’s Emergency Receiving Home is here to ensure that each child has the support they need to heal and thrive.
A Comfortable Home Setting
Decorated with children in mind, the Emergency Receiving Home offers a warm home setting with amenities including comfortable bedrooms, a large backyard, a full kitchen and plenty of space to learn and explore.